Chewy Tropical Oat Bar
70g dried pineapple
120g brown sugar
300g rolled oats (feel free to use a mixture of your choice i.e rolled spelt)
70g wholemeal self-raising flour (alternatively you can use wholemeal spelt flour with a heaped teaspoon of baking powder)
50g shredded coconut
35g sesame seeds
35g poppy seeds
100g dried cranberries
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a shallow baking dish or tray with baking paper.
- Place pineapple in TM bowl, chop for 4 seconds, speed 7. Set aside.
- Place almonds in TM bowl, pulse 3 times, turbo speed. Set aside with pineapple.
- Place butter in TM bowl, chop for 4 seconds, speed 6.
- Add honey and sugar, cook for 5 minutes, 60°C, speed 2.
- Add oats, flour, coconut, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, cranberries, salt, pineapple and almonds. Mix for 40 seconds, reverse speed 3, assisting with spatula.
- Pour mixture onto baking tray. Press down with hands and then with the back of a spoon. Mixture should be around 1.5cm thick. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden on top.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Gently lift out of tray and cut into desired sized bars with a large knife while slice is still warm.
Perfect for big and little kids’ lunch boxes.
Variation: Also delicious replacing almonds with walnuts.
Chef’s tip: The more compact the mixture at step 7 the better the end result. Also note that mixture will still be soft when removed from oven — bars will harden while they cool.