Hainanese Chicken Rice in Thermomix
This recipe for Hainanese chicken rice is from the Yum Cha section of Recipes from our Cooking School, and it’s a staff favourite for good reason — it’s gluten free, dairy free, and super rich in total deliciousness! This meal really does taste as good as it looks, and boy does it look good.
This dish makes a great dinner to start off your week — the fresh Asian flavours, vibrant vegetables and tender steamed chicken are super healthy and super scrumptious, and it can be cooked and on the table in less than an hour, leaving you plenty of time to prepare for the week ahead.
DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE
1 garlic clove, peeled
20g rice bran oil
400g jasmine rice
salt, to taste
20g ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 spring onion, halved
1.2kg whole chicken, room temperature
50g Chinese cooking wine (Shao Xing wine)
1 cucumber, thinly sliced, to serve
- Place garlic in TM bowl, chop for 3 seconds, speed 5.
- Add oil, sauté for 3 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 1.
- Add rice and salt, sauté for 1 minute, 100°C, reverse speed 2. Place rice in steamer basket and set aside.
- Stuff chicken with 20g ginger and spring onion, transfer to lower Varoma steaming tray and cover with wine.
- Fill TM bowl with 1500g boiling water. Steam for 30 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 4.
- Insert steamer basket filled with rice. Steam for a further 13 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 4.
- Check the chicken is cooked before resting for a minimum of 10 minutes.
Slice chicken and serve on rice along with ginger sauce and sliced cucumber. Garnish with spring onions.
Chefs’ Tip: To check if the chicken is cooked at step 7, cut in between the thigh and the breast – the juices running out should be clear. If chicken isn’t cooked, remove steamer basket containing rice and steam chicken for a further 10 minutes. Varoma temperature, speed 4.
Variation: The whole chicken can be replaced with 8 chicken drumsticks. For this option, simply place ginger and spring onion in lower Varoma steaming tray alongside chicken.