An Australian take on the American classic Thanksgiving dessert pumpkin pie. While it may seem a strange flavour combination, it works! Make your next homemade ice cream a talking point.
Gluten free, Vegetarian
500g pumpkin, peeled and roughly chopped
200g brown sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp ginger, ground
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fill TM bowl with 500g water. Place pumpkin in TM steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 3, or until very soft. Set aside.
- In a clean TM bowl place milk, cream, sugar, egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Cook for 10 minutes, 80°C, speed 3.
- Add cooked pumpkin, puree for 30 seconds, speed 9, or until smooth. Pour into a shallow container, seal and freeze for a minimum of 12 hours.
- To serve, remove from container, seal and using a large knife cut into 16 pieces. Place half in TM bowl, process for 10 seconds, speed 9.
- Mix for a further 30 seconds, speed 6, or until ice cream is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Add remaining 8 pieces to TM bowl, process for 10 seconds, speed 9.
- Mix for a further 30 seconds, speed 6, or until ice cream is smooth and creamy.
Serve in waffle cones or sandwiched between two cookies for a pumpkin pie ice cream sandwich.
While we are writing this recipe in November to coincide with the American holiday, in Australia pumpkins are in their prime in Autumn. Try this recipe in March and April.