Thermomix Kale Meat(less) Balls
These vegetarian meat(less) balls are absolutely bursting with flavour and are surprisingly moreish - you'll be coming back for sections! Pair them with a dipping sauce for finger food, or warm pita bread, a Middle-Eastern dip and tabbouleh for a substantial vegetarian main. Kale is coming to the end of it's season, so now's the time to cook this recipe or you'll be waiting until next year's cooler weather.
This recipe first appeared in Issue 4 of TMix+ Magazine, devoted to all things Thermomix. Click here to check it out.
200g bread, roughly chopped and frozen
2 shallots, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bunch kale, spine removed and leaves only (approx. 250g)
50g olive oil
2 tsp cumin, ground
70g feta, crumbled
1 handful mint leaves, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
Macadamia oil, for frying
- Place bread in TM bowl, grate for 6 seconds, speed 8, or until breadcrumbs are formed. Set aside.
- Place shallots and garlic in TM bowl, chop for 3 seconds, speed 5.
- Add half the kale, chop for 4 seconds, speed 6, assisting with spatula. Set mixture aside.
- Add remaining kale to TM bowl, chop for 4 seconds, speed 6, assisting with spatula.
- Add the first batch of kale mixture along with olive oil and cumin, sauté for 8 minutes, Varoma temperature, reverse speed 1, MC removed. Remove lid and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add breadcrumbs, feta, mint, egg and salt, mix for 10 seconds, reverse speed 3, or until mixture fully incorporated. Using wet hands, squeeze mixture into balls.
- Heat a liberal amount of macadamia oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Once hot, add kale balls and cook for 2 minutes each side, or until golden.
Serve warm with hummus, yoghurt or other dipping sauce.