Hainanese Chicken Rice
gluten free, dairy free
1 garlic clove, peeled
20g rice bran oil
400g jasmine rice
Salt, to taste
20g ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 spring onion, halved
1.2kg whole chicken, room temperature
50g Chinese cooking wine (Shao Xing wine)
1 cucumber, thinly sliced, to serve
- Place garlic in TM bowl, chop for 3 seconds, speed 5. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil, sauté for 3 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 1.
- Add rice and salt, sauté for 1 minute, 100°C, reverse speed 2. Place rice in TM steamer basket and set aside.
- Stuff chicken with ginger and spring onion and transfer to lower Varoma steaming tray.
- Fill TM bowl with 1.5kg boiling water. Pour wine over chicken and steam for 30 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 4.
- Insert steamer basket filled with rice. Steam chicken and rice for a further 13 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 4, or until chicken is cooked through (see Chefs’ Tip). Rest for 10 minutes.
Slice chicken and serve on rice along with ginger sauce (page 153) and sliced cucumber. Garnish with spring onions.
Variation: The whole chicken can be replaced with 8 chicken drumsticks. For this option, simply place ginger and spring onion in lower Varoma steaming tray alongside chicken.
Chefs’ Tip: To check if chicken is cooked at step 7, cut in between the thigh and the breast – the juices running out should be clear. If chicken isn’t cooked, remove steamer basket containing rice and steam chicken for a further 10 minutes. Varoma temperature, speed 4.
Recipes from Recipes from our Cooking School