Hot Cross Bagels
One of the most unique uses of our Varoma steaming tray is for making amazing fresh bagels. While bagels are generally boiled, the Varoma offers an easy and straightforward way to recreate this bakery favourite at home. So in order to spread some Easter cheer, we are bringing you an Easter-ised version of this old favourite – the alyce alexandra hot cross bagel! You’ll find that hot cross bagels are not only easy to make, but you’ll also already have most of the ingredients sitting in your pantry. Simply knead the dough in the Thermomix, steam in the Varoma tray, and bake in the oven, for hot, homemade bagels that are a guaranteed hit! And if you decide when you’re making them that your eyes were bigger than your stomach, simply freeze the bagels after the steaming step, and bake them from frozen at a future date.
80g boiling water
20g raw sugar
7g dried yeast (2 tsp)
520g bakers flour
80g brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp allspice, ground
1 tsp nutmeg, ground
1 egg, beaten
- Mix sultanas, raisins, currants and boiling water in a bowl and set aside.
- Place water, raw sugar and yeast in TM bowl, heat for 2 minutes, 37°C, speed 2. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, allspice, nutmeg and fruit soaking water. Mix for 5 seconds, speed 6.
- Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 1 minute, interval speed.
- Add dried fruit, knead for 45 seconds, interval speed, adding 1 additional tablespoon flour if mixture becomes too wet.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning several times with spatula to create tension on surface of dough. Cover and stand in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line oven tray with baking paper. Divide mixture into 10 and shape into balls on a lightly floured surface. Press thumb through middle of each ball and shape into bagels.
- Line the upper and lower Varoma steaming trays with baking paper. Place 500g water in TM bowl, heat for 5 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 3, or until Varoma temperature is reached.
- Place 3 bagels on upper steaming tray and 2 in the base. Steam for 4 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 3. Place on baking tray and repeat with remaining 5 bagels.
- Brush bagels with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned and with a crust on top and bottom. If base is still pale, turn bagels over when top is browned.
Serve warm out of the oven with a generous spread of butter.