Saffron Mussel Thermomix Risotto
This free recipe is a delicious saffron risotto with steamed mussels. Risotto is the easiest thing in the world to cook — when you have a Thermomix, that is! We love keeping the steaming water to use as the stock for the risotto, as it imparts a delicate seafood flavour onto the rice. With less than 10 ingredients, most of which you will already have in your kitchen, this is an quick and easy weeknight meal, or an impressive dish for last-minute entertaining. Just go out and get yourself some quality Australian mussels, which are a economical, sustainable and delicious choice when you’re in the mood for quick-fix seafood.
GLUTEN FREE, DIARY FREE (OPTION)
120g white wine
1kg mussels, scrubbed & debearded
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 leek, ends trimmed and halved
40g olive oil
300g Arborio rice
40g stock concentrate
Pinch saffron threads
20g butter (optional)
- Place parsley in TM bowl, chop for 5 seconds, speed 6. Set aside.
- Fill TM bowl with water and white wine. Place mussels in lower Varoma steaming tray, steam for 14 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed 3. Remove any mussels that have opened.
- Steam for a further 1 minute, Varoma temperature, speed 3. Remove mussels that have opened.
- Steam for a further 1 minute, Varoma temperature, speed 3. Again, remove any mussels that have opened and discard any unopened mussels. Cover mussels to keep warm. Set aside steaming water.
- In a dry TM bowl place garlic and leek, chop for 3 seconds, speed 6. Scrape down sides.
- Add oil, sautÈ for 3 minutes, 100C, speed 1.
- Add rice, sautÈ for 2 minutes, 100C, reverse speed 1.
- Add stock concentrate and saffron. Activate scales and pour in reserved steaming liquid. Then add water to bring the weight to 750g. Cook for 18 minutes, 100C, reverse speed 1.5.
- Add butter and stir through using a spatula. Allow to stand in TM bowl, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Divide risotto between 4 serving bowls, top with mussels and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Variation: After step 4 remove the mussels from their shells and stir through the risotto at step 9 along with the butter.