Sage Garlic Bread
This recipe by Sophia is from her Thermomix Cookbook 'Practice Mix Perfect' - available to purchase from The TM Shop. She has kindly offered to share this recipe with readers of the alyce alexandra blog.
Makes 12 Slices
This is the most wonderful tear and share bread, ideal for a lazy evening on the sofa with some nibbles and a glass of wine. You can also add in some ham to make it more of a meal. The bread is already very lovely without the filling and makes a great sandwich base.
2 garlic cloves
1.5 Tbsp dry active yeast
500g strong white bread flour+extra for dusting
20g olive oil
1.5 tsp salt
10g caster sugar
3-4 ice cubes
75g cheddar cheese
3 garlic cloves
20g fresh sage leaves
- Place the garlic cloves in the mixing bowl. Blitz 5 Sec. / Speed 5.
- Add the water and yeast and warm 2 Min. / 37°C / Speed 2.
- Pour in the strong white bread flour, olive oil, salt and caster sugar and knead 2 Min. / Kneading function.
- Leave covered with the measuring cup to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size. Alternatively, you can place the dough on a piece of greaseproof paper and wrap in cling film. Chill overnight.
- Once risen (or chilled), preheat the oven to 250°C.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Press into a large rectangular shape, using your hands. It should be about 25cm long and 3cm thick. Roll up into a large log, starting with the edge closest to you. Place onto a large rectangular tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Score with a sharp serrated knife in a quick movement, then cover and leave for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the cover and place in the oven. Add the ice cubes to the bottom of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until it sounds hollow when tapped. Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes. You can at this stage use the bread as it is or continue making the garlic and sage filling.
- In a clean mixing bowl, place the cheddar and garlic cloves. Blitz 5 Sec. / Speed 9. Scrape down. Add the butter and combine 5 Sec. / Speed 5.
- Cut slits into the bread and smear some of the garlic butter in each slit, decorating it with some sage leaves.
- Place on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and bake for another 5-7 minutes until the cheese has melted.